THREE BEHAVIOUR CHANGE & COMMUNITY MOBILISATION OFFICERS FOR
WATER, SANITATION & HYGIENE PROJECT – COPPERBELT & NORTHWESTERN
We are looking to recruit 3 mature and experienced officers to work on a high profile Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH) project based in the Copperbelt and North-Western Provinces, for a minimum period of 12 months from early 2014. One lead technical officer will be based in Kitwe with responsibility for project implementation in Lufwanyama, Masaiti and Mpongwe districts; a further two officers will be based in Kasempa and Mfumbwe districts and their portfolio will include WASH in Schools.
This WASH project will be aimed at a) increasing high impact interventions of safe water supply, sanitation and improved hygiene practices with children, mothers and pregnant women, contributing to the attainment of MDG targets for child and maternal survival and development; and b) enabling children and adolescents to develop, learn and participate in a protective and enabling environment. The project will address issues of open defecation and unsafe water in rural and peri-urban areas as well as unprotected toilet facilities in schools. It will also include a significant HIV mainstreaming component. CLTS (Community- Led Total Sanitation), a Rural Participatory Appraisal methodology, will be the primary approach alongside other behaviour change methodologies such as REFLECT, Safe from Harm, Stepping Stones and the Join-In Circuit.
Minimum skills, qualifications and experience required:
· A Diploma in Environmental Health, Public Health, Social Work or a relevant field discipline from a reputable institution.
· At least 3 years’ experience working with rural or peri-urban communities in the area of behaviour change and/or water, sanitation & hygiene (preferably both).
· At least 3 years’ experience working with non-governmental organisations and/or local government and district-level institutions (preferably both).
· A qualification and experience in construction for quality assurance of latrine-building.
· A highly motivated team player with acute attention to detail, a strong ability to multitask and work with people at all levels.
· A self-starter with a proven ability to work under pressure with minimal supervision.
· Significant experience in using Microsoft Office and excellent report-writing skills.
· Outstanding proven communication and interpersonal skills.
Applicants should submit a covering letter detailing how their skills, qualifications and experience match the minimum requirements outlined
above, together with a CV (maximum 2 pages) and the full contact details of at least 3 professional referees, one of which should include current
employer, where applicable. Please also indicate your preferred location as well as details of your most recent salary/remuneration package.
The closing date for applications is 17:00hrs on Monday 6 January 2014. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please submit
applications, quoting reference ‘WASH Officer’, to the Executive Director, Afya Mzuri, Plot 10487A Manchinchi Road, Olympia Park, Box 51232,
Lusaka (Applications should be hand delivered or posted only).
*Female Candidates are strongly encouraged to apply*